Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully autonomous driving technology. Our software allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
We are looking for researchers and software engineers who are passionate about developing computer vision and machine learning techniques for the perception systems on our self-driving cars, and have an incessant drive to improve the performance of our technology stack. You will be working together with a creative team of engineers and researchers who solve similarly complex problems and help advance our state of the art perception system.
In this role, you will
- Research and develop state-of-the-art computer vision algorithms and machine learning models for the perception system.
- Productionize and optimize the machine learning models to power a large fleet of waymo vehicles that drive millions of miles.
- Considered as a technical leader of the team who drives technical direction, and provides technical inputs and guidance to the team.
- Work closely with PMs and TPMs to help define product requirements and align the technical agenda with the company's business objectives.
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams (e.g., Prediction, Planning, Research), other technical leads, and senior leaderships across Waymo to deliver on key strategic efforts.
At a minimum we’d like you to have
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- 8+ years of experience with hands-on experience in computer vision and machine learning projects
- C++ and/or Python programming skills.
It’s preferred if you have
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in computer vision, machine learning, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in deep learning.
- Industry research or production experience.
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.