Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully autonomous driving technology. Our software allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers.
The Waymo Planner team is responsible for the final task of building a car that can drive itself. Given all the information our sensors can give us and all the classifiers and predictors telling us what is happening around the car, we decide what the car should do. Within Planner, our team is responsible for a critical part of this: scoring and ranking different possible plans against each-other, to make the final decision about how the car should drive.
We are looking for candidates at all levels motivated to work on difficult problems at the cutting edge of what is technically possible. A great candidate would be excited about iterating on large data sets to extract patterns for improvement and build out general solutions. You'd be working with a creative team of people to ensure that the behavior of our cars is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users, which includes gracefully handling many complex situations involving social aspects (merging, negotiating narrow roads, etc), while dealing with noisy, uncertain, and incomplete information.
In this role, you’ll:
- Iterating on large data sets to extract patterns for improvement and build out general solutions.
- Build robust solutions to cutting-edge driving problems creatively and collaboratively.
- Improve how the car acts and reacts in complex and nuanced situations.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Machine Learning, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in at least one of: Machine Learning, Information Retrieval, NLP, or Ranking Systems
- 2+ years of work experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- MS/PhD degree in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience writing robust, mission -critical, efficient code
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in C++
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.