Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As Waymo is becoming a multi-product company, Trucking is our second largest opportunity and will see massive growth in 2022. We believe that commercial trucking, the backbone of our economy, stands to reap untold benefits by deploying autonomous trucks, particularly during long-haul stretches. Roads will be safer. Goods will be cheaper. Truckers will be called upon to use their skills in new ways while the truck itself becomes a trusted navigation partner.
In this role, you'll be working with a small but rapidly growing team, benefitting from shared technology and expertise of the greater Waymo and Alphabet organizations. We are looking for software engineers and roboticists who are passionate about evolving the safety-critical perception system for self-driving trucks beyond the state of the art.
- Prototype and deploy algorithms that consume new and novel radar data products
- Coordinate with the in-house radar development team to maximize the performance of radars in our trucking product
- Adapt and extend existing perception systems for deployment on a fleet of Waymo trucks, while creating all-new approaches where needed
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Robotics, Machine Learning, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with radar.
- Experience in programming in C++ and with robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Robotics, Machine Learning or a related field
- Proficiency in C/C++, Matlab, and Python
- Experience with radar signal processing including FMCW/Stretch processing, MIMO, Bayesian Filtering, Super-Resolution techniques, etc.
- Experience developing end to end perception systems with different sensing modalities
- Industry research or production experience
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.