See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next (Senior) Director of Engineering -Data Engineering and Analytics.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Your job is to build a world-class data organization and to grow and scale the data and analytics platform for Twilio. The ultimate goal is to make it easy to generate deep insights from data while running a highly reliable and scalable data platform. You will partner with and drive data-driven outcomes for engineering, sales, and go-to-market, leveraging petabytes of stored data and billions of events per day. You have the technical expertise along with the management skills to build and coach engineering teams. Working side- by-side with product management and engineering counterparts across Twilio, you will collaborate to craft and deliver a vision for making it easy to get predictive insights from data.
In this role, you’ll:
- Hire, nurture and grow diverse talent
- Be an industry thought leader for data platforms and analytics
- Lead several teams effectively
- Create strong team culture
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years managing multiple engineering teams.
- You have a strong work ethic and are proactive by nature.
- You have the ability to build teams that are highly collaborative and that get things done.
- You’ve demonstrated the ability to set milestones for your teams, establish metrics and get people to work together towards a common goal.
- You have experience with scalable, distributed systems and can describe a design end-to-end.
- You can effectively manage multiple senior engineering managers.
- You are passionate about innovation, driving change and are willing to write your ideas down.
- You have experience with building highly scalable and reliable cloud-based (AWS, Azure, or GCP) distributed systems. You have strong technical skills in one or more areas.
- Experience with Kafka, Spark, Presto etc. is a plus.
- Experience with data science, analytics, and applied machine learning is a big plus.
This role will be anywhere in the US.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $200,000 – $242,000
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.