See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Data Engineer (L3)
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to fulfill the critical role of a Data Engineer to build data products that deliver actionable intelligence to achieve operational excellence.
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Data Engineer to be a key member of the Reliability & Response organization with the focus on data engineering services based in Bengaluru, India. You will help us build solutions that deliver actionable intelligence from a number of critical systems, ensuring that Twilio is the leader in trusted communications. As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data engineering, and a consistent track record of solving data problems at scale. You are a self-starter, embody a growth attitude, and collaborate effectively across the entire Twilio organization.
In this role, you’ll:
- BE AN OWNER:
- Design, develop, and maintain data products that perform robust analytics to support Twilio’s product engineering operational data: incidents, deployments, performance, utilization, defects, change failure rate, test data, infrastructure costs.
- Build scalable solutions and self-serve platforms that will provide data, Key Performance Indicators, anomaly alerts, and forecasts to inform business decision making.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Develop and maintain documentation relating to all assigned systems and projects
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES:
- Develop high-trust relationships and processes with partner teams and stakeholders to identify and address the requirements.
- Interface with various product development teams to understand their data better, and build data pipelines for data ingestion from a wide variety of data sources
- DRAW THE OWL:
- Participate in workstreams planning process including inception, technical design, development, testing and delivery of BI solutions. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate!
- Be able to understand complex architectures and be comfortable working with multiple teams.
- PRIORITIZE RUTHLESSLY: Adapt to prioritizing multiple issues in a high-pressure environment.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in a role requiring design and development of highly scalable data warehouses and data pipelines.
- Hands on Experience in Java, SQL and Python programming languages.
- Experience in building stream processing applications using Apache Kafka or Apache Flink or similar frameworks
- Deep understanding of architecture and functioning of Distributed database systems like Snowflake, Presto or Redshift.
- Experience with one or more NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, MongoDB, DynamoDB is a plus.
- Strong expertise in troubleshooting production issues.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Strong belief in automation over toil.
- Familiarity with BI and Visualization platforms like Tableau or Looker.
This role will be based in our Bengaluru office.
Approximately 10% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.