Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Bready to make a change?
Toast is looking for a machine learning engineer to bring data science capabilities into the Toast platform. You will work with engineers, data scientists and product managers to turn machine learning models into business impact across product lines, including fintech, menu recommendations, and item classifications. We need your help to create the infrastructure that enables data scientists to build, release, and monitor models at scale.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Apply MLOps expertise internally to help further define and improve the capabilities of Toast’s ML pipelines to increase automation, repeatability, and robustness of our ML practices
- Build ML infrastructure for full model development lifecycle (training, versioning, monitoring, etc)
- Explore and evaluate new ML-related technologies to optimize model performance for latency, availability, and accuracy in collaboration with data scientists and ML engineering team members
- Develop APIs and libraries to deliver machine learning artifacts into production environments
- Help execute on the architectural vision to unlock data science across the entire Toast platform
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 4+ years of ML software development experience with understanding of the entire ML development lifecycle:
- A proven track record of shipping machine learning solution in production environments
- Deep experience with tools and best practices for developing model deployment pipelines
- Experience with microservice-based architecture, preferably with AWS tooling (SageMaker, DynamoDB, Athena, etc.)
- Strong competency with the following languages (Java/Kotlin, Python), ML frameworks (scikit-learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch) and distributed computing frameworks (Spark, Ray, Dask)
- Experience in software engineering best practices and tools including object-oriented programming, test-driven development, CI/CD, git, shell scripting, task orchestration (Airflow)
Special Sauce: (non-essential skills, nice to have)
- Experience with workflow orchestration tools like Apache Airflow and an open-source infrastructure-as-code tool such as Terraform is a plus
- Foundational knowledge in statistical concepts (e.g. classification, regression, etc) and deep learning algorithms (e.g. CNN, RNN) is desirable
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.