Tesla’s Manufacturing Engineering team is at the forefront of building cutting edge assembly lines and automation cells. This team is building the next generation assembly lines which allows our operations team to produce amazing vehicles at best-in-class quality and rate; in a safe and ergonomic environment.
As part of the Manufacturing Engineering group – The Material Flow/Conveyance team is seeking a Senior Robotics Engineer to focus on design and implementation robotic cells at Tesla.
Manufacturing engineers on the Material Flow/Conveyance Engineering team are responsible for managing technical projects from “cradle to grave”. This includes system concept and detailed design, equipment specification, implementation and commission, as well as establishment and optimization of processes that interact with the conveyance and storage systems. The candidate will work closely with internal cross-functional teams, external vendors and technology partners on overall system layouts, processes, and project implementation for robotic cells. The scope includes design and commissioning of robotic cells related to the conveyance and storage of painted and unpainted bodies, battery packs and modules, drive units, large underbody castings, large General Assembly (GA) commodities such as seats, tires, instrument panels.
Besides owning the design and technical scope of a project, senior engineers also provide leadership and guidance to other engineers and stakeholders within Tesla. A senior engineer’s role is to make sure that MFE system’s designs meet Tesla’s goals and objectives. Traditional project management functions such as timelines, budgets and coordination’s with vendors and other groups within Tesla are also the responsibility of the senior project engineer on the material flow team.
- Develop automated conveyance and storage solutions that are simple robust and provide maximum value to Tesla
- Design and implement robotic cells for the material flow team
- Responsibility for designing/selecting robotic systems.
- Creating simulations and offline programs with Process Simulate.
- Advanced robot programming including DCS, Kuka Safe.
- Develop custom robot application code to interface with new technologies.
- Support maintenance team in troubleshooting difficult breakdowns and chronic equipment failures.
- Project management: both internal maintenance projects, and major contractor projects.
- Develop procedures and maintain proper documentation related to robotics systems.
- Design of end of arm tools
- Design of repack equipment
- Targeted goals include:
- Increased reliability
- Reduction in material handling waste (reduced touches)
- Improvement in labor efficiency
- Optimized space utilization
- Concept development, detailed engineering design, and collaboration with 3rd parties on system build, integration, and testing.
- Develop analytical models to establish design criteria and overall system performance criteria
- Responsible for specifying equipment in the form of project specifications and requirements
- Leveraging outside partners for solution development and design where necessary
- Lead the detailed design phase with vendors and Tesla’s operations and safety team
- Able to create designs that transition from engineering to fabrication to installation.
- Develop RFQs
- Develop equipment specifications and requirements based on product constraints
- Provide design layouts and equipment solutions
- Conduct equipment design reviews and provide design guidance to vendors.
- Manage equipment suppliers through all phases of projects.
- Prepare cost estimates and budget requests for senior mgmt. approval
- Technical project management and implementation
- Lead in on-site construction and commissioning activities by serving as the point of contact for technical questions and real-time issue resolution.
- Provide equipment and overall system validation and acceptance documentation
- Support troubleshooting during installation and start-up
- Smooth handoff to operations at Tesla factory locations
- Effectively communicates and collaborates openly with vendors, internal management, and other mechanical and control engineers on the Material Flow Engineering team.
The ideal candidate takes pride in her/his hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills, and attention to detail. She/He appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed, and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. She/He looks forward to learning an incredible amount on the job.
- BS in mechatronics engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3-5+ years extensive experience Robotic programming and applications.
- Excellent robotic high level and background programming skills on Fanuc, KUKA, ABB or equivalent brands.
- Hands on experience commissioning and programming industrial robots
- Robotic mechanical and electrical trouble shooting skills.
- Experience with Robot simulation packages as well as off-line programing using Robcad, Delmia 3DX or Process Simulate (preferred).
- Virtual commissioning experience of a robotics system is a plus.
- Knowledge on programming languages such as Python, Java, C, C++, HTML, ROS
- Experience in Material handling or Automotive industries is a plus.
- Good overall people management skills.
- Proficient in CAD.
- PLC programming knowledge is a plus.
- A passion to work on mechanical automation equipment, robots, design of electromechanical systems, PLCs, motion controls and navigation Systems.
- Ability to lead a project from concept through detailed design to implementation and hand-over while working in a close-knit, team environment.
- Must understand the integration of equipment design into existing or new systems.
- Must possess knowledge of moving mechanism and machine design, component part design, and machined part processes.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills. Ability to manage several complex projects at the same time with high degrees of variation and uncertainty.
- Natural ability to speak and write effectively at all organizational levels.
- Values people, ethics, commitment, fun and an engaging culture.
- Position will offer unique and complex engineering challenges that require persistence, innovative thinking, and a positive attitude