Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2022 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, our interns have a seat at the table and make critical decisions that will influence not only their team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the Team
Tesla’s Mobile Robotics team designs and builds humanoid bi-pedal robots (Tesla Bot) to automate repetitive tasks and wheeled robots for manufacturing and autonomous logistics. The team joins mechanical, electrical, controls, software, and manufacturing engineering disciplines in a highly collaborative team
Core to the Tesla Bot and wheeled vehicle’s full autonomy, the perception stack presents a unique opportunity to work on state-of-the-art algorithms for state estimation and motion planning, culminating in their deployment to real world production applications. The perception software engineer will develop and own this stack from inception to deployment. The ideal candidate will have previous hands-on experience developing humanoid bi-pedal robot perception solutions for commercial applications.
* Build, integrate, and deploy real-time state-of-the-art perception models and algorithms into existing system architecture
* Develop online and offline state estimation algorithms by fusing information from cameras, IMUs, and other sensors
* Test and debug your solutions in realistic situations including in customer applications
* Validate and document performance of algorithms and models in real and simulated environments
* Design and build automatic data pipelines that create high quality, unbiased ground truth labels for neural network model training and deployment
* Create robust sensor calibration routines that perform reliably in complex and unpredictable environments
* Working towards a degree in Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent, with evidence of exceptional abilities
* Experience writing production code in C++ and Python
* Experience with sensors, algorithms, and data structures related to localization and mapping, obstacle avoidance, semantic segmentation and tracking, motion planning and trajectory optimization
* Strong background in core robotics, including kinematic/dynamic modeling, Bayesian state estimation (e.g., MAP, MMSE, MLE), 3D reconstruction, structure-from-motion, visual odometry, visual inertial odometry, bundle adjustment
* Working knowledge of Git and Linux environments