Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The team is fundamentally responsible for everything S3 at Stripe. There is a lot to unpack there but fundamentally this team is responsible for building and maintaining the services and libraries that Stripe uses to access, manipulate, and lifecycle data in S3. There is a significant amount of engineering (design and coding) necessary to make this a reality both in maintaining an existing (but new) codebase and building new services and features. The team is remote and distributed across Europe.
What you’ll do
You will be a key contributor to the evolution of our platform and how Stripe uses S3 in the future. As a Staff Engineer, you’ll be empowered to make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe and help guide our investments and strategy while making our systems reliable, secure, and a delight to use. There is much work to do to make Stripe engineers’ data storage capabilities even more reliable and usable than they are today. We’re close to the internal stakeholders using our systems and regularly get feedback to make their experiences better.
We’re looking for people with a strong background and demonstrated leadership in data platform technologies, ideally within the offline storage lifecycle space. Staff Engineers at Stripe are empowered to operate autonomously and are counted on to help drive Stripe forward.
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact for Engineers within Stripe.
- Build and maintain the infrastructure which powers the core of Stripe.
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building these products. In many cases, you will be the decision maker.
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for how great software should be written for Stripe as a whole.
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns.
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to data storage and access within Stripe.
- Work effectively cross functionally.
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Have a strong technical background with 8+ years of experience with data platforms and backend development
- Have experience with cloud based storage solutions
- Have served as the technical lead for a team of engineers and can demonstrate broad technical leadership.
- Listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- Work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you.
- Have been a Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer at a top tier company.
- Have owned the technical roadmap for a business area.
- Are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you.