Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies – Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Test Engineer – Vehicle Data Platform to join our Research and Development organization. In this role, you will manage and expand our SF and UK Test Labs focused on supporting mission critical device testing across all Samsara fleet hardware products.
This role requires excellent leadership skills, knowledge in management of laboratory & electronics, strong technical expertise, the ability to partner across multiple product teams.
As a Test Engineer at Samsara, you will obsess over product quality & safety with particular focus on Samsara product compatibility with customer vehicles.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Vehicle Acquisition: Leads effort on finding, acquiring and maintaining test vehicles
- Drive Testing: Perform drive testing as well as work with contract drivers to complete engineering drive tests
- Space Ownership: Owns SF and UK Test Automation and Vehicle Garage Labs, build HIL rigs
- Troubleshooting Complete vehicle mechatronic diagnosis and troubleshooting, component and sensor testing, component and system removal/installation/assembly, fabrication and modification
- PID Hunting: Close diagnostics gaps by acquiring equipment and finding PIDs
- Partnerships: Collaborate with internal teams (Sales Engineering, HW Engineering, Product Management, Product Support Engineering) to prioritize opportunities for product improvement and drive corrective and preventative actions
- Training: Develop content and host labs to train the wider technical teams
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum Requirements for the role:
- 2 + years of managing a laboratory
- 4+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
- Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building processes, procedures and physical test stations
- Low voltage automotive electrical experience. Can splice, solder and use
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, creativity, and hands-on problem solving abilities
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience purchasing and maintaining a vehicle fleet
- Have a strong understanding of vehicle diagnostics protocols such as J1708, Single Wire CAN, K-Line, J1708, J1850, etc. EV experience is a huge plus
- Experience with single-board microcontrollers and microcontroller kits for building digital devices
- Has a passion for hacking, building and reverse engineering.
- Experience with shop fabrication equipment and processes (Lathe, Mill, Cutting, Welding)
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.