Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies – Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
In this role, you will:
- Design and build facts, dimensions and snapshots
- Create data models and perform performance tuning
- Develop highly optimized data pipelines and transformation logic on large and wide data sets using industry best practices
- Work effectively using scrum with multiple team members to deliver analytical solutions to the business functions
- Solve data production problems
- Build resalable datasets and metrics for business intelligence and data science consumption
- Code review and support of pipelines developed by other engineers
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 8+ years of experience with very large scale data warehouse projects
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent is required
- Experience working with APIs to collect or ingest data
- Strong Database knowledge of Datawarehouse technologies
- Demonstrated academic or professional statistics and math skills
- Write complex SQL for processing raw data, data validation and QA
An ideal candidate also has:
- Prior experience working with Databricks, BigQuery, Snowflake, S3
- Preferred experience with Python, Airflow, DbT
- Prior experience in designing data models product and business data sets
- Knowledge of subscription focussed metrics such as ACV/ARR metrics
- Very comfortable building data models for finance and sales
- Very comfortable in designing facts, dimensions, snapshots, SCDs
- Communication Skills: Data Engineers are part of a team, working with engineers, data analysts and management and need to be effective communicators
- Attention to Detail: Databases are complex, and a minute error can cause huge problems
- Problem-Solving Skills: Data Engineers look at an issue that needs to be solved and come up with solutions quickly
- Growth Learner: Data Engineers desire to continue to learn about where the data technology is progressing
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.