Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies – Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Product Support Engineer to join our Global Technical Support organization. In this role, you will be focused on solving mission critical post-sales issues across all Samsara hardware products. A Product Support Engineer travels to our customers (up to 30%) to provide field debugging, onsite failure analysis, and design feedback to our Hardware Engineering team with the primary goal of improving product reliability to ensure world-class customer experience.
This role is a combination of CAN bus troubleshooting and creative problem solving with a strong customer focus. We are looking for hands-on engineers who are passionate about Samsara’s mission with a “whatever it takes” attitude to resolve issues with a sense of urgency.
In this role, you will:
- Diagnostic Coverage Improvement: Support cross functional diagnostic coverage improvement projects by identifying PIDs in customer vehicles.
- Onsite Troubleshooting: Perform post-sales onsite HW troubleshooting of company critical issues including conducting analysis of field failures and identifying product quality and reliability risks.
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA): Track, escalate, and root cause issues by working with Engineering teams across multiple disciplines (mechanical, electrical, firmware) to close the loop by driving corrective actions to improve the product.
- Lessons Learned: Proliferate lessons learned to Product Development and Technical Support teams to incorporate feedback into new product designs (8D/DFMEA).
- Reporting: Present trends and themes of issues seen in the field to leadership and the cross functional technical team.
- Partnerships: Collaborate with internal teams (Sales Engineering, HW Engineering, Product Management, Technical Support) and customers to prioritize opportunities for product improvement and drive corrective and preventative actions.
- Training: Develop content and host labs to train the wider support team.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- B.S. degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- 3+ years of related experience in diesel equipment
- Deep experience with CAN and Data Acquisition Tools (CAN/J1939)
- Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, creativity, and hands-on problem solving abilities
- Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment
- Travel to customer locations for on-site investigations as needed (up to 30% travel)
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience with DIY Projects. (ex: Makerspace, robot competitions, custom automotive, home automation etc.)
- FSAE Experience or other automotive
- Data Analysis skills. Python/Pandas, SQL and Tableau
- Training on 8D, DFMEA, 5-Why and Fishbone
- IoT, networking and wireless troubleshooting skills
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.