Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,600 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies – Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
The Director of Data Engineering & Architecture serves 2 major leadership functions within the Samsara Business Technology organization.
Firstly, this individual is responsible for leading the Data Engineering team – designing and building best-in-class data & analytics platforms to extract, ingest, maintain and secure Samsara data using robust automated data pipelines at scale. The Director is responsible for democratizing the data for building an exceptional customer experience through data models primarily focused on our business data in functions like Sales, Finance, People and Marketing. They will also drive our data warehouse strategy which will enable business intelligence & reporting. This role will build and lead a team of Data Engineers, Data Architects and Analysts and manage the vision and roadmap for the team.
In addition, this leader will also manage the Enterprise Integrations team, consisting of integration engineers responsible for creating a best-in-class integration architecture for Samsara’s key business systems. This overall integration architecture is critical to support our business at scale and provide an exceptional customer experience.
This leadership position will report directly to the CIO.
In this role, you will:
- Build a high-quality Data Engineering and Data Warehousing team that will scale as the company grows.
- Drive the design, building, and launching of new data models and data pipelines
- Design and manage Samsara’s enterprise data management framework
- Drive core architectural decisions around ETL, data warehousing, analytics capabilities, and other critical infrastructure
- Lead the enterprise integrations and data teams, driving integrations and data engineering & architecture for Samsara’s business
- Manage development of data resources and support new product launches.
- Drive data quality across the IT function and related business areas.
- Manage the delivery of high impact dashboards and data visualizations.
- Define and manage SLA's for all data sets and processes running in production.
- Be an active voice in build vs. buy decisions.
- Partner with our Compliance team to address global or universal data regulations and quality standards, such as GDPR, ISO, and others across all applications.
- Proactively drive the vision for BI and Data Warehousing across the company, and define and execute on a plan to achieve that vision.
- Build cross-functional relationships with other IT and business functions – especially Sales, Customer Success, Finance, Customer Support and Marketing.
- Collaborate closely with the product data teams
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 10+ years of experience in leading Data Engineering and Data Warehousing teams.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels in the organization.
- Project management experience in driving large cross functional initiatives.
- Experience in SQL or similar languages and development experience in at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, etc.).
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or other technical fields.
- Preferred experience with Mulesoft, Databricks, BigQuery, Salesforce, Netsuite and Master Data Management platforms (like Informatica).
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.