At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft’s Privacy team is composed of engineers and analysts dedicated to ensuring appropriate data protections are applied to our drivers’ and passengers’ data. Our goal is to make privacy the default setting for our engineers and customers.
Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for a Privacy Engineer to help us scale our privacy and compliance programs. Our drivers and passengers entrust Lyft with their personal information and travel details to get where they are going and expect us to keep that data safe. You will help design architectures, build a scalable data platform, and define policies to reduce the exposure of user data and ensure appropriate privacy and security protections are applied to our data. You will use data expertise to help evolve data models throughout the data stack. You will help architect, build, and launch platforms to enable creation of scalable data pipelines to support Lyft’s growing data processing and analytics needs in a secure and private way.
- Design, build and maintain systems that enhance privacy across the organization
- Advocate for user privacy throughout the organization, consult engineering teams throughout the software development life-cycle and escalate potential privacy concerns
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Help lead large projects from idea to execution
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- Share knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and evangelizing appropriate tech and engineering best practices
- Collaborate cross-functionally to establish high levels of automated testing and evidence collection as well as contribute to the development of tools and automation.
- Contribute to the development of controls and continuous testing, and design remediation and risk mitigation solutions.
- Build systems to attach personal data annotations to various data sets
- Build systems to redact personal data from data stores, logs, and APIs
- Build systems so users can exercise their privacy rights
- Build systems for auditing and compliance maintenance
- Build access control systems to a diverse set of services at Lyft
- Partner with teams across Lyft on organizational initiatives
- Partner closely with business areas to enable privacy by design in our products, services and business processes
- Ensure high-quality standards for code, testing, documentation, etc.
- Anticipate problems and proactively suggest architecture to stay ahead
Experience & Skills:
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, Go)
- Proficiency in databases, including analytical (e.g., DynamoDB, Redis, Hive, etc)
- Experience working with cross-functional stakeholders (Compliance, Legal, Product)
- Skills in scripting language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- Proficient in at least one of the SQL languages (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SqlServer, Oracle)
- Experience developing distributed systems
- Comfortable collaborating with backend engineering to bridge Lyft's business goals with data engineering
- Ability to learn and research new technologies rapidly, analyze systems for impact, and build scalable solutions to tackle problems
- Skilled in finding, managing, cleansing, and manipulating data
- Ability to appropriately identify and address extremes and outliers
- Experience developing distributed systems
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
- Ability to write thorough, scalable, and clear design documentation
- Ability to own and manage high priority projects and multiple tasks
- Ability to learn and research new technologies rapidly, analyze systems for privacy impact and build scalable solutions to tackle problems
- Strong cross-functional communication and leadership skills, with the ability to initiate and drive projects proactively
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills and a love for documentation and collaboration
Set Yourself Apart:
- Prior Privacy or Security experience a plus
- Passion for user privacy and the transportation industry
- Experience with automation and creating tools for a distributed system is a plus
- Contributions to the community (open source software, bug bounty programs, public research, blogging, presentations)
- Experience in identity and access management is a plus
- Mentoring junior engineers through code reviews and project task breakdown, scoping, and sequencing
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink – Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
The work responsibilities of this role are expected to take place based on the PST Time Zone.
This role is work-from-anywhere, excluding the following states and territory: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming, Puerto Rico.
For candidates living in Colorado the expected base pay range is $154,000-$179,400 and depending on a variety of non-discriminatory factors, including qualifications, experience and geographic location.
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States and Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule, remote, or as a visitor) are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after completion of the entire recommended series of vaccination (usually one or two doses) with a vaccine authorized to prevent COVID-19 by the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including by way of an emergency use authorization. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process. New employees must provide proof of full vaccination or receive an accommodation exception approval prior to their start date.