At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Data and Machine Learning are at the heart of our products and decision-making. We’re looking for passionate, driven engineers to build systems that empower machine learning models to make our products predictive, personalized, and adaptive. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about solving problems with data, building reliable ML systems, and is excited about working in a fast-paced, innovative, and collegial environment.
As a Machine Learning Platform Engineering Manager, you will be leading development of our central machine learning platform that powers Lyft machine learning and optimization models. You will be working on a wide array of challenges ranging from large scale distributed model training, sub millisecond real-time predictions at scale, automating machine learning model lifecycle, implementing model monitoring, enabling reinforcement learning and many more. You will work with modelers across the company and build infrastructure to incorporate the rapid developing needs in various domains.
- Partner with Machine Learning Engineers, Data Scientists, Software Engineers and Product Managers to develop advanced systems for business and user impact
- Evaluate when to build and when to reuse existing components including open source solutions
- Establish roadmap and architecture based on technology and our needs
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members.
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our passengers and drivers
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Science and experience in distributed systems and machine learning
- Passion for building scalable and extensible solutions for machine learning development and product towards short term and long term business and user impact
- 5+ years of managing software engineers
- Track record of hiring, building and growing high performance teams
- Experience developing roadmap and vision setting balancing short term and long term customer and team needs
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English
- Strong understanding of Machine Learning fundamentals, including supervised learning, forecasting, recommendation systems and reinforcement learning
- Experience with distributed computing frameworks and open source solutions such as Kubernetes
- Experience working with remote teams / engineers
- Familiarity working with cloud services (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc) and containerization with Kubernetes
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- Family building benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink – Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
For candidates living in Colorado the expected base pay range is $182,160 – $211,600 depending on a variety of non-discriminatory factors, including qualifications, experience and geographic location.
This role is work-from-anywhere, excluding the following states and territory: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming, Puerto Rico
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States and Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule, remote, or as a visitor) are required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and up to date against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated and up to date means an employee has: 1) received all recommended doses in a primary series of COVID-19 vaccine; and 2) either has received a booster dose or is not yet eligible to receive a booster dose but will do so when eligible. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process. New employees must provide proof of full vaccination or receive an accommodation exception approval prior to their start date.