At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
This team focuses on supporting our business by building the data transport, collection, and storage that powers our hardware/software sales business. We are looking for a Data Engineer to build scalable solutions, leveraging their data expertise and our technology stack to provide timely, accurate data for our internal and external customers. You will have the opportunity to be a member of a new, growing part of our micromobility platform. This role will involve collaborating with product managers, external stakeholders, GMs, engineers, and scientists to gather and translate requirements into solutions, ensuring that data-driven decisions are at the core of our business.
This role reports to the Engineering Manager
*This role is located in Montreal.
- Owner of the core company data pipeline, responsible for scaling up data processing flow to meet the rapid data growth at Lyft
- Evolve data model and data schema based on business and engineering needs
- Implement systems tracking data quality and consistency
- Develop tools supporting self-service data pipeline management (ETL)
- SQL and MapReduce job tuning to improve data processing performance
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- Unblock, support and communicate with internal partners to achieve results
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Experience with Hadoop (or similar) Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase, Parquet)
- Proficient in at least one of the SQL languages (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SqlServer, Oracle)
- Good understanding of SQL Engine and able to conduct advanced performance tuning
- Strong skills in scripting language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- 1+ years of experience with workflow management tools (Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban, UC4)
- Comfortable working directly with data analytics to bridge Lyft's business goals with data engineering
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink – Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States and Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule, remote, or as a visitor) are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after completion of the entire recommended series of vaccination (usually one or two doses) with a vaccine authorized to prevent COVID-19 by the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including by way of an emergency use authorization. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process. New employees must provide proof of full vaccination or receive an accommodation exception approval prior to their start date.