Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We have an unusual, yet exciting, role in our Forecasting & Analytics (F&A) team within Revenue Operations (RevOps) which is a hot-topic area within growth businesses with direct and sales-assisted motions.
Our analysts are spreadsheet wizards who are also hands-on with SQL and Redash reports. They are highly reactive to ad-hoc data needs of a variety of stakeholders with daily and weekly reporting motions.
We are embracing DataOps practices, including the adoption of tools like DBT to bring software-like rigor to our work. We are transitioning to “self-serve” data solutions where stakeholders discover insights for themselves, such as advanced Tableau (e.g. with embedded Python). Our mission is to allow stakeholders (not just analysts) to produce insights “at the speed of thought.” This role is central to that mission.
Gusto has a centralized DS center-of-excellence (CoE). Some of their models already underpin F&A work. However, this role is for a data scientist to be embedded in our F&A team to achieve the following:
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Ideate advanced techniques to improve F&A across the entire revenue journey from acquisition to close-of-sale and beyond (e.g. up-sell).
- Build advanced solutions whilst liaising with the CoE to share knowledge and resources.
- Identify, evaluate and recommend best-in-class 3rd party tools (e.g. “RevOps AI” platforms).
- Ideate and embed DS methods into existing F&A data products (e.g. via Python extensions to Tableau) so as to add next-level self-serve insights beyond native Tableau capabilities.
- Evangelize, design and oversee an up-skilling program for existing analysts to adopt DS and advanced analytics methods within their work.
- Influence our DataOps practices from a DS perspective, working with our Data Curator to ensure testability and related data-quality mechanisms.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Demonstrable experience with Python and classical ML libs like scikit-learn
- Critical thinking and self-start attitude, comfortable with ambiguity and incomplete requirements
- Passion for sharing knowledge and teaching others
- Advanced Tableau, ideally using Pythonic extensions
- Advanced visualization techniques and familiarity with information design & UX
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $123,000-$138,000/year in Denver & most remote locations, and $149,000 – $167,000/year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.