We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—allowing for seamless collaboration and problem-solving among Dev, Ops and Security teams globally for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The Database Monitoring team is building a brand new Datadog product to monitor databases and data stores in depth. We are starting with relational databases and surfacing query level data like rows scanned, buffer vs disk reads, transaction locks, shared cache hits/misses, execution plans, live processlist, and many more. We partner closely with a small group of database-heavy customers to iterate quickly on the product in a startup-like environment. We aim to build an industry-leading product that our customers love.
Be a part of a team launching a new product from the ground up! As an engineer on the Database Monitoring team, you will be part of a fast-moving team working on hard product and distributed systems problems. In this role, you will wear many hats from writing optimized SQL queries in the Agent to building backend pipelines processing thousands of payloads per second. You will:
- Own new feature development on the Database Monitoring product end-to-end from ideation to implementation,
- Build and scale our distributed systems which ingest, process, analyze, and store streaming data to provide actionable insights to users,
- Build low-overhead data collection tools that collect important metrics from relational databases and other data stores,
- Be a driving force in product decisions,
- You have experience working with at least one of the following database technologies: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and/or cloud-managed relational databases
- You have been building applications and tooling for 8+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on in depth,
- You have significant experience building high throughput/low latency systems,
- You have hands-on experience troubleshooting issues between the application and database, are very comfortable reading execution plans, and are experienced in tuning database settings,
- You are able to write and debug highly optimized SQL queries which can safely run in a wide range of environments and workloads,
- You are motivated by solving problems for our customers first and foremost and building beautiful products that our customers love
- You have contributed to internal, proprietary, or open source database observability tools such as Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), PGHero, Percona, etc. (or have extensive experience using a number of these tools)
- You previously held a position as a Database Administrator (DBA) or a database reliability-focused role such as Site Reliability Engineer (SRE),
- You have worked at a very high scale environment (e.g. ~thousands of payloads/sec)
Is this you? Let's chat!
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.