We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—allowing for seamless collaboration and problem-solving among Dev, Ops and Security teams globally for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The Database Monitoring team is building a brand new Datadog product to monitor databases and data stores in depth. We are building an industry-leading product to surface database insights and pinpoint exactly where our customers’ performance problems are without them having to lift a finger. We partner closely with a small group of database-heavy customers to add new features and improvements based on their feedback. We aim to build an industry-leading product that our customers love.
Be a part of a team launching a new product from the ground up! The Database Monitoring team is looking for an experienced software engineer to take ownership of one of the most critical parts of our stack–the Datadog Database Monitoring Agent. The open-source Agent runs directly in our customers’ environments, collecting key system health data about the systems it monitors. In this role, you will regularly weigh the tradeoffs of design decisions, such as considering different caching strategies, serialization protocols, and algorithms for data aggregation. You will have ownership of the Agent architecture, Agent performance, and manage our open-source community to assist in building world-class database observability tools. You will also work with our frontend engineers and product managers to shape how the data you collect will be used in the UI.
- Own the architecture of the open-source Datadog Agent database integrations, which collect telemetry from millions of our customers’ hosts
- Be a driving force in product decisions for the newly-launched Database Monitoring product
- Define what telemetry to collect from customer databases, and the related insights we can extract
- Build and own end-to-end testing and performance benchmarking pipelines, ensuring every release can satisfy Datadog’s high standards of quality
- Redesign the integrations to support bi-directional communication for showing live queries and taking SQL actions directly from the Datadog UI
- Work directly with customers and act on their feedback to add new functionality
- Work in a fast, high growth startup-like environment that respects its engineers and customers
- Work with our open-source community for all database domains across Datadog
- You have prior experience using at least one of the following database technologies: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and/or cloud-managed relational databases
- You have worked on large libraries or systems which execute across a wide range of workloads, such as on customer premises or across many internal teams’ applications
- You have strong experience optimizing performance, benchmarking, and creating automated test suites for the systems you’ve worked on
- You have 4+ years of experience writing Python or Go applications
- You have contributed to internal, proprietary, or open source database observability tools such as Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), PGHero, Percona, etc. (or have extensive experience using a number of these tools)
- You have experience writing highly optimized SQL queries and are comfortable reading database execution plans
- You have extensive experience working in open-source
- You have experience with major non-relational databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, CouchDB, etc.
- You have development experience on Windows
Is this you? Let's chat!
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.