We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Robotics Department is responsible for validating the autonomous performance of our Autonomous Vehicle (AV), and for building the software and algorithms that make the vehicle select and follow appropriate trajectories in a safe, accurate, and reliable manner. The department includes localization, routing, remote assistance, planning, controls, frameworks and performance, and Embedded Software (responsible for the hardware interface to the car’s actuators and sensors), as well as release management.
We are searching for an Engineering Manager who will lead one of two groups in the Robotics – Autonomy Performance Department. This group is responsible for strengthening, developing, and executing on our program to define, measure and continuously improve the autonomous performance of our AV, in support of all AV development activities. To maintain the accelerated pace of improvement of our AV, the systems and processes for defining metrics of performance, simulation testing and road validation need to stay ahead of autonomous development. This includes the necessary algorithmic framework to define correctness of emergent autonomous behaviors.
The role requires an energetic and motivated individual with strong communication, organization, and technical skills who works well in a fast-paced dynamic environment. The successful candidate will be an experienced leader with a passion for autonomous vehicles, have a deep knowledge of data-driven products and help direct the future of the team through outstanding hires, lead modern engineering teams using peer reviews, agile methodologies and test driven development. They will continuously explore opportunities for improvement and automation, and help scale the team for future expansions in capabilities and volume.
At Cruise, we believe engineering leaders should remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing. This Engineering Manager will lead the group that supports the areas of Behaviors Detection and Response. They will mentor engineers, systems engineers and test engineers and they will support the career development of their team, and they will help drive design decisions.
Our deeply technical engineering leaders should be capable of mentoring and supporting the career development of engineers, driving design decisions and guiding the direction of the team.
What you’ll be doing:
- Continually improve the software performance metrics and requirements for improving the behavioral performance of our AV software
- Improve engineering productivity through testing strategy and execution, automation and enabling processes, collaboration and coordination with Simulation and Productivity Infrastructure teams
- Ensure that our autonomy performance is defined, measured and continuously improving
- Oversee resources, staffing, and designs of multiple engineering teams
- Manage day to day execution to deliver robust solutions
- Work with Technical Project Managers and Engineering Managers to develop and execute project roadmaps with resolution of significant risks
- Ensure performance metrics comply with best industry standards and practices
- Work with Cruise Safety and Functional validation teams on testing and requirements verification
- Establish strong working relationships with engineering teams, testing infrastructure teams, data infrastructure and data science teams for a sense of shared accountability
- Foster a collaborative culture of test driven development, safety, and documentation
- Increase the productivity of the team by identifying process gaps, common pain points and scalability issues and develop a plan to address them
What you must have:
- At least five years of demonstrated professional experience managing and leading teams who have shipped and supported scalable production systems.
- Bachelor's degree or better in Engineering or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Self-motivated to lead your teams, encourage standard methodologies, and continuously improve.
- Ability to learn quickly, starting with little information and quickly becoming an authority in your domain
- You embody Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
- Experience leading multiple team members across a wide variety of systems and products, allowing them to independently implement, innovate, and deliver while staying engaged via efficient review, auditing, and reporting mechanisms
- Establish and lead a strong, all-inclusive culture for their organization that impacts the company’s brand, attracts talent, and fosters top performers. Experience identifying and promoting talent
- Proactively identifies potential future gaps in their realm. Work with team to build viable long-term solutions and transition plans
- Experience doing more with less, continuously optimizing their teams and resources to deliver results while reducing cost and overhead
- Experience recognizing where there is a need for new teams or job functions across their organization and efficiently coordinate with leadership and other teams to fill the gaps
- Ability to effectively plan, able to consistently and accurately plan releases both at a high and granular level
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate and engage with engineers, executives and board members
- Has prior experience as a software developer (preferably C++)
- Familiarity with automotive or aerospace (or similar) safety critical systems and testing
- Experience with autonomous vehicles or complex robotic systems
- Familiarity with data analytics, and machine learning workstreams
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex – a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) – a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.