Who we are:
Argo AI is a global self-driving products and services company on a mission to make the world’s streets and roadways safe, accessible, and useful for all. Our technology is built to enable commercial services for autonomous delivery and ridesharing in cities.
With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s top consumer brands, we’re working block by block, city by city to empower people and businesses to be more successful. We’re individuals driven by strong values to solve complex problems together. Come join us to reimagine the human journey.
Meet the team:
Our team delivers solutions to camera-based perception problems on the autonomous vehicle platform. These problems include object detection, scene segmentation, and various classification and regression problems. Perception is key to obstacle avoidance, prediction of actor behavior, and planning the motion of the vehicle itself. Our team takes algorithms that allow the vehicle to reason about the world around it from the lab to the road – everything from reading and understanding the research literature to deployment of production-grade vision systems on the vehicle. Understanding a large, messy, unstructured world in real-time is essential to the success of any autonomous robotics program, and one of the most challenging and fulfilling aspects of the work here at Argo.
We’re looking for a talented Staff-level machine learning engineer to join us. The ideal candidate should have significant experience building computer-vision-focused machine learning pipelines, controlling for all of precision, recall, computational performance, memory use, and multi-task tradeoffs. You should be comfortable reading papers, working on highly nontrivial problems without obvious solutions, and pushing the boundaries of the state of the art.
What you’ll do:
- Develop spatiotemporal machine learning models that capture behavior and state of scenes. Read the literature, look at raw data, design state-of-the-art solutions, and productize them all the way from lab through to the test track, and ultimately bring them to public roads.
- Understand where the team’s work fits in the bigger picture, and deliver strategic contributions pushing the company toward our goals. Identify forward-looking opportunities to make strategic contributions and work with management and senior leadership to make them real.
- Act as a force multiplier across the team: mentor and grow more junior members, provide a voice of reason and knowledge, and identify opportunities for improvements that scale the engineering team further.
- Build relationships with upstream and downstream partners and work cross-functionally to deliver high-impact features that meaningfully improve our overall perception system.
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Robotics, or related.
- Expert level machine learning knowledge and experience, with a successful track record of developing and deploying deep learning solutions using TensorFlow, PyTorch, or similar.
- Significant experience with camera-based systems and computer vision.
- Experience shipping computer vision hardware/software products to industry or consumers.
Nice to haves:
- Ph.D. with machine learning focus, or equivalent experience.
- Knowledgeable as regards image formation, camera trade-offs (for instance, shutter speed vs brightness vs noise).
- Experience developing and deploying temporally computer vision models (for instance, video activity recognition or using multiple frames for improved results on other tasks).
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,700-person strong company with strategic partnerships with some of the world’s leading consumer brands. With global headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate in eight cities across the U.S. and Germany in areas where self-driving technology can have the biggest impact on improving safety, traffic, and transportation equity.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.